nls-restore

Re: Fwd: Computer History Museum project on NLS/Augment

To: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Cc: Raylene Pak <raylene_pak@sbcglobal.net>, Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>, Peter Yim <peter.yim@cim3.com>, Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
From: Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:23:16 EST
> If I understand you correctly, these are the known clients that were
> created at various points in time which can connect to NLS/Augment
> versions(?):    (01)

There is another approach, which is to just write a new client.
Publish the protocol on a website and invent someone to write a
version GPL'd from the beginning.    (02)

It's really a very simple protocol, unless they drastically enhanced
it from the version I used while at SRI.  In fact, as one of the
authors of CRTSTY (a bit of free software from ITS that I also ported
to TOPS-20), I added a module that allowed one to pretend to be a NLS
lineprocessor while actually using any reasonable display terminal.    (03)

I did this partly because I was so irritated at having to hunt around
for a (scarce/expensive) real lineprocessor, and partly because I
wanted to use EMACS commands to navigate on the screen instead of a
mouse.  I have no idea whether it still works.    (04)

And if you're really into retro computing, I have a copy of the
blueprints for the original 4004-based lineprocessor that I salvaged
from a trash bin.    (05)

--Ken    (06)