nls-restore

Re: Fwd: Computer History Museum project on NLS/Augment

To: Raylene Pak <raylene_pak@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>, Peter Yim <peter.yim@cim3.com>, Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:02:44 -0800
Hi Raylene,    (01)

I'm glad you are bringing this up. We have not discussed this much as
yet as we have been concentrating primarily on NLS/Augment itself.
However, this is as good a time as any to start the discussion.    (02)

If I understand you correctly, these are the known clients that were
created at various points in time which can connect to NLS/Augment
versions(?):    (03)

1) Augterm version X(?) - text-based(?), requires Windows 3.1(?) or
DOS(?), requires modem. Copyright Tymshare/Boeing. Binary available.
Sourcecode available(?). Developed circa 19??. Sourcecode is written in
? language.    (04)

Possible roadmap for preservation:
  a) Obtain license approval from Boeing unless released to public domain
  b) Obtain source code.
  c) Update to run on modern OS.
  d) Update to run over TCP/IP.    (05)

2) Augterm version Y(?) - text-based(?), requires Windows 95(?), runs
over TCP/IP. Copyright BI. Binary missing. Sourcecode missing. Developed
circa 19??. Sourcecode is written in ? language.    (06)

Possible roadmap for preservation:
  a) Locate sourcecode.
  b) Obtain license approval from BI unless released to public domain
  c) Update to run on modern OS.    (07)

3) VAT version Z(?) - SmallTalk gui-based, requires SmallTalk version(?)
for Windows 95/98. Runs over TCP/IP. Copyright BI. Proprietary license
required for SmallTalk environment. Binary of VAT available. Binary of
SmallTalk environment available. Sourcecode of VAT available(?).
Developed circa 19??. Supports 2 modes (VAT-0, VAT-1).    (08)

Possible roadmap for preservation:    (09)

  a) Obtain sourcecode.
  b) Obtain license approval from BI unless released to public domain
  c) Update to run on modern SmallTalk (squeak? or open source SmallTalk)    (010)

Raylene, could you please replace my question marks with any info that
you happen to know, and fix any incorrect information.    (011)

Phil, I found the following links on VAT:    (012)

http://www.hastingsresearch.com/augment/documentation/setup-ST.shtml
http://www.hastingsresearch.com/augment/documentation/required-files.shtml    (013)

Thanks!    (014)

Jonathan    (015)