nls-restore

Re: Fwd: Computer History Museum project on NLS/Augment

To: Peter Yim <peter.yim@cim3.com>
Cc: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 13:57:27 -0800
At 01:04 PM 2/24/2005, Peter Yim wrote:
>Phil,
>
>We (CIM3) don't have a component on our CWE system that supports
>multi-user chat.    (01)

Sorry, Peter, I had misunderstood about that.    (02)

>We agreed to use AIM for the purpose, and I did offer to "paste" the
>transcript back onto the discussion forum or wiki afterwards each session
>(assuming I am in the session ... but of course, anyone else can you that
>too, if their client allows them to log the session.)    (03)

AIM would be OK assuming Rayleen and Ken both use it.  A few
people here have used it, but these days we usually use our own
tools for remote synchronous/asynchronous collaboration now.
We're working on web interface to the functionality, but those
aren't ready for production yet.    (04)

>Given that route, everyone will need to setup their own AIM account and
>client for it to work (if they don't already have one.) The rest would be
>to schedule a "meeting" time for this type of AIM augmented session, I guess.    (05)

I'll suggest this to them and see if they want to go this route.    (06)

>Slightly unclear what you meant by "I was thinking of offering them that
>capability ..." -- did you mean bringing up the notion that we can use
>AIM, or did you mean something else.    (07)

I only meant that I didn't want to push them to use synchronous chat
if they'd prefer to use email instead.  I assume they'd want to have the
conversation in the next few days or so.    (08)

>Actually asynchronous email exchange via the forum (listserv), along with
>regular sync-up "meetings" (via AIM), would probably work best. Your call.    (09)

Agreed.  I'll ask them to capture the essence of the discussion, which
ever way they go, so we can "paste" it back into the discussion forum
or wiki afterwards.    (010)

>Do I want to be in? ... [ppy's answer] only to the extent that I have
>something to contribute. Therefore, e.g. code-level work sessions? ...
>generally no.    (011)

Great.  Then I'll send them both a note and ask them to get on with it.
I don't have anything to contribute either, but I'll be interested to follow
what they discuss.    (012)

Sound OK to you, Johathan?    (013)