nls-restore

Re: Fwd: Computer History Museum project on NLS/Augment

To: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Cc: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>, Peter Yim <peter.yim@cim3.com>, Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
From: Raylene Pak <raylene_pak@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 16:29:04 -0800 (PST)

Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz> wrote:

If I understand you correctly, these are the known clients that were
created at various points in time which can connect to NLS/Augment
versions(?):

The Augterm and VAT-0 clients are usable with all versions of Augment.  The VAT-1 client was developed to run in conjunction with just the later versions of Augment.  In order to operate Augment in other than the typewriter/teletype mode, use of one of these clients is required.

1) Augterm version X(?) - text-based(?), requires Windows 3.1(?) or
DOS(?), requires modem. Copyright Tymshare/Boeing. Binary available.
Sourcecode available(?). Developed circa 19??. Sourcecode is written in
? language.

These questions are best directed to Dave Hopper who developed the Augterm software.  The source code may still be available in his directory, but I would need to research this.  When I joined the Augment team in the mid 1980's, they were beginning to deploy Augterm on PC's running DOS.  It was written in some obscure, stack-based freeware language.  The only binary that I am aware of is on Doug's PCs.

Possible roadmap for preservation:
a) Obtain license approval from Boeing unless released to public domain
b) Obtain source code.
c) Update to run on modern OS.
d) Update to run over TCP/IP.

2) Augterm version Y(?) - text-based(?), requires Windows 95(?), runs
over TCP/IP. Copyright BI. Binary missing. Sourcecode missing. Developed
circa 19??. Sourcecode is written in ? language.

Again, direct these questions to Dave Hopper.  He developed this version as well.  It was developed while the BI was based at Stanford University - probably around 1991-1992 time frame.  Dave may still have source/binary code for this.

Possible roadmap for preservation:
a) Locate sourcecode.
b) Obtain license approval from BI unless released to public domain
c) Update to run on modern OS.

3) VAT version Z(?) - SmallTalk gui-based, requires SmallTalk version(?)
for Windows 95/98. Runs over TCP/IP. Copyright BI. Proprietary license
required for SmallTalk environment. Binary of VAT available. Binary of
SmallTalk environment available. Sourcecode of VAT available(?).
Developed circa 19??. Supports 2 modes (VAT-0, VAT-1).

The VAT client supports two interface modes.  VAT-0 is essentially Augterm version Y.  VAT-1 supports a more modern UI style.  It was developed using Visual Works Release 2.5.2 of SmallTalk.  As it is released now, it includes the development environment and the source code.  It was developed in the 1994-1995 time frame.  It runs under Windows95/92/2000/XP.  It also runs on one of Doug's Sun machines that is using Sun OS 5.5.1.

Possible roadmap for preservation:

a) Obtain sourcecode.
b) Obtain license approval from BI unless released to public domain
c) Update to run on modern SmallTalk (squeak? or open source SmallTalk)

Raylene, could you please replace my question marks with any info that
you happen to know, and fix any incorrect information.

Phil, I found the following links on VAT:

http://www.hastingsresearch.com/augment/documentation/setup-ST.shtml
http://www.hastingsresearch.com/augment/documentation/required-files.shtml

Thanks!

Jonathan