nls-restore

Re: Fwd: Computer History Museum project on NLS/Augment

To: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Cc: Peter Yim <peter.yim@cim3.com>, Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>, Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
From: Raylene Pak <raylene_pak@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 11:13:54 -0800 (PST)
Philip,
Yes, I can handle the pruning of personal files from the cloned copy.
Raylene

Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com> wrote:
Rayleen,

Thank you so much!  We're very happy that you will be joining us
on this pilot project to preserve NLS/Augment under the auspices
of  the Computer History Museum.  We all think that it is a great
thing to ensure that the impact of  Doug and his team's work will
be more widely know and studied as a result of this project.

Peter Yim is setting up an on-line collaboration forum that we will
use to interact and work on the project.  He will have that up
sometime next week, and we will transfer past email messages,
notes and slides to it at that point.

To bring you up to speed, I'm attaching a few slides that I
presented at the last monthly meeting of the Software Collection
Committee.  This outlines our proposed activities and next steps.
As you can see, the goal of this pilot project is! to use the current
version of Augment as the subject, rather than any of the historical
versions.  This is a pragmatic decision, and will be sufficient for the
purposes of guiding the committee to formulate software collection
policies and procedures.

If you look at the near-term plan in the slides, you'll see that one
of the first items we will need to discuss with Doug is the logistics
of transferring a working copy of Augment to the CHM as a first
step in the collection process. I talked with Doug about this step
at length last November, and his only concern was ensuring that
personal accounts and files are not part of what is transferred.

Ken Harrenstein has proposed a way to create a "clean" clone
of Augment that ensures no personal accounts or files leave
Doug's machine. He is confident that this can be done reliably
and with no impact to the users of Doug's system. What it requires
is cloning and pruning o! n the same machine, then dumping an
image of the clone to a virtual tape, which excludes even deleted
or unused blocks.  We can then move this image to a fresh
Linux machine at CHM and bring up a "clean" Augment system.

Our primary concern throughout this process is that Doug feel
perfectly comfortable and confident that personal accounts and
files are not exposed or compromised. The delicate part is having
someone who Doug trusts supervise the process and be
responsible for pruning personal accounts and files. Ken is willing
to handle the mechanics, but is not an expert Augment user and
does not want to be responsible for this part.

I'm hoping that you would feel comfortable taking on the pruning
task before the clone leaves Doug's machine, assuming that Doug
himself doesn't have the time to do this. Let me know if this sounds
like a good plan and whether you'd be willing to do this part. Once
we have a complete p! lan and time frame in place, we can present
the details to Doug to make sure it meets with his approval. John
Toole is helping out with this project, and will also be contacting
Doug to assure him on behalf of the CHM that whatever we do will
be done with Doug's full approval.

Again, thanks for joining us on this project. We look forward to
working with you!