nls-restore

Re: Working out cloning logistics

To: Raylene Pak <raylene_pak@sbcglobal.net>
Cc: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>, Peter Yim <peter.yim@cim3.com>, Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>, Philip Gust <gust@acm.org>
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 09:45:01 -0800
Rayleen,

Thanks for creating this detailed list!  There are certainly quite a number of items to take
care of.  After going through your intro and the list I have a few questions, and a comment
about the Boeing issue.  First the questions:

1) Can you recommend a good overview concepts & facilities document that we can all read to
bring us up to speed on the system-level aspects of Augment?  It would be great if we can all
get to a common basic level of understanding. I know that I always feel a little foolish asking
basic questions that I could have answered myself by doing a little reading ahead of time.

2) That said, could you briefly explain the concept of an ident name in Augment and how it is
used?

3) Is this list of tasks something on the order of an afternoon's work, or several days work to
accomplish, once Ken clones the BI5 host?

4) What additional tasks are required once the archive made from this backup is reloaded on a
new system before we have a usable version of Augment running?

5) Could you explain what is embodied in a user template?  I think Doug has sometime used
'user template" to describe a command set that is tailored for the abilities of specific kinds of
users.  For example, he described a simple command set suitable for new users, who graduate
to more advanced ones as they learn the system.  Is this what you mean by a user template,
or is it a completely different thing dealing with permissions and such.  What different kinds of
user templates are commonly available in Augment systems?

6) On the 8th item, you're saying that the host name is complied in to Augment as well as
stored in various configuration files?  Is this a logical host name that is internal to Augment,
or the actual host name of the virtual TOPS-20 system running Augment?

7) Also on the 8th item, you mentioned at Doug's party that you rebuild Augment relatively
often.  It would be interesting to hear about what kinds of changes make it necessary to rebuild
Augment, what that process is like, whether it's incremental or requires rebuilding the entire
system, and how that impacts users of a "production" Augment system.

8) On the 9th item, do you mean that the mail relay host is compiled in to the SMTP deamon
code, rather than being read from a configuration file?

9) On the 12th item, what has been the practice in Augment with regard to access privileges
to source code?  Some systems make source code readable by everyone but modifiable by
a more limited list, while in others it is only available to a select list.  It a matter of culture,
so I'm interested in the practice within the NLS/Augment culture.  As an artifact, I'd think
that we'd want the permissions to reflect that.

On the Boeing issue, we need to resolve the status of Augment with Boeing ASAP.  I'm
working with John Toole to contact Lou Platt, the Boeing Chairman of the Board and former
HP CEO.  I've told John that our ideal is to have Boeing release NLS/Augment to the public
domain, since it is of historical value but no longer of any commercial value, and that doing
it now would allow us to begin preservation while key members of the team are still around
to assist us.  I suggested several fall-backs if Boeing balks at this, including transferring
all rights to CHM, and allowing them to study the issue and decide about its disposition.
That way, Boeing could avoid endless debates about licensing, and may be able to take
a tax write-off as well.  Lou Platt will be in town on March 15 to talk at a HP retiree's
lunch that I'm attending. I've asked John to contact him ASAP to see if he can meet while
he's in town.

The museum has had to grapple with the conflict between ownership and the urgency of
saving software when the opportunity presents itself. CHM's approach is to collect software
whenever and wherever it can, and to investigate ownership and seek permission from the
owner as expeditiously as possible.  While it is doing this, the museum holds the software
in confidence, but may still initiate a conservation project internally while it is resolving the
ownership issue. The important thing is that the software and confidential information
derived from conservation is not released publicly until the ownership issue is resolved and
the owner grants appropriate permissions. This came up recently when CHM was offered
the source code and design artifacts for MacPaint by one of it's authors. CHM attorneys
are comfortable with this approach.

I think we can move forward with the initial phase of the project with Doug's permission,
while John and I work on securing Boeing's permission. As I said, we'd like to get that
as soon as possible because making as much information as possible public will allow
people outside the project to start contributing.