nls-restore

Re: Working out cloning logistics

To: Philip Gust <gust@acm.org>, Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
Cc: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>, Peter Yim <peter.yim@cim3.com>, Philip Gust <gust@acm.org>
From: Raylene Pak <raylene_pak@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:22:31 -0800 (PST)
I am assuming that Ken would supply me with a clone of the current BI5 host.

I will need to know the host name that is going to be assigned, initially, to this copy of Augment.  We should also agree upon the number and type of user templates to be created for this release - e.g. do we want to distribute with one user and one programmer  template?.  Additionally a general purpose ident name to be assigned to any users must be identified.   Past ident names have been TYM, MDC, BI, etc. reflecting the organizations using Augment.   Likewise, if a journal is to be set up for users to experiment with, its name should be selected.

Once we have permission from Boeing/?? to release the Augment code to the public domain, then I will need to do the following:

. Guest directories created for actual people - remove directories and their contents.
. General-purpose guest/user directories - remove all except standard, startup files.  Set their passwords to some generic value.
. Directories of former programmers/support personnel - identify useful subsystems/macros in these directories and copy them to a new directory - e.g. prog-subsys.  Subsequently, remove these directories and their contents.
. Discuss disposition of the Bootstrap Institute's directories and journal with Doug.  Either remove all or selected contents of these directories.
. Remove all directories containing journals for other companies - DEC, MDC.
. Develop a macro to identify and delete all Augment private journal documents from the remaining journals.
. Update journal configuration files to reflect journals to be released to the public domain.
. Create versions of the Augment executibles that use the new host name.  Update various Augment configuration files to reflect the new host name.
. Remove references to the www.bootstrap.org host as the mail relay host from the SMTP deamon code.
. Remove all system privileges from all except the operator directory.
. Review the current user groups and their memberships.  Remove any groups that are no longer relevant - e.g. those associated with BI groups.
. Review and set access privileges to various source code files/directories as deemed appropriate.  Some discussion will be required here.
. Create an ident for public use and make it the default.  Create a user that can modify this ident.
. Remove all Augment deamon and system log files.

This is my initial cut.  There may be other requirements that surface during various discussions.

Raylene