nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] Line processor

To: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 13:59:13 -0800
Philip Gust wrote:    (01)

> I have OmniPage Pro 12 and a high-quality scanner.  OmniPage produces
> fully searchable (non-image) PDF files.  It does pretty well,
> although any OCR program will require a little hand work, depending
> on the quality of the copy.    (02)

Hmm, I was really hoping to be able to store papers as a combined
searchable and image PDF file instead of just searchable non-image PDF
files.    (03)

The combined version is great for preserving artifacts because the image
is needed to handle diagrams and layout look and feel (plus any
hand-written notes on the page), and the searchable text is needed so
that it can be made available as part of a site search.    (04)

I guess that as an alternative, we could store two versions of each
scanned document (the image PDF and a searchable ASCII or non-image PDF
file). But that isn't quite as convenient.    (05)

Thoughts?    (06)

Jonathan    (07)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (08)