nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] Line processor schematics

To: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Cc: nls-technical@chm.cim3.net, Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
From: Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 2:44:58 EST
> Ken,
>
> If I can get the size and sheet count info this week I can locate a
> vendor and get them copied by end of next week.
>
> Thanks again for offering to let us copy them.
>
> At 08:41 AM 1/25/2006, Philip Gust wrote:
> >Ken,
> >
> >I finally got a response from the CHM staff on whether they have a
> >high-res scanner in house: they don't.  That being the case, I'd
> >like to arrange to have the plans scanned outside by a firm that
> >specializes in this.  Could you let me know the size and number of
> >sheets that need to be scanned so that I can get an estimate?    (01)

I just hauled them out for closer examination.     (02)

They consist of 13 sheets of 18"x24" paper, slightly rolled up and
rumpled.    (03)

There is no color and they are VERY sharp, but the last 3 sheets are
PCB layouts and use grey-scale traces.  Ideally the scanner used will
be able to output grey-scale pixels, not just binary on/off pixels.    (04)

Unfortunately, it looks as if they relied on some standard Intel 4004
card plus a backplane bus; apart from the first sheet that shows the
overall system block design, the schematics only cover the 3 custom
boards plus the mechanical construction details of the enclosure and
I/O ports.  So this isn't a *truly* complete schematic, but it may be
that details of the 4004 "motherboard" product still survive
elsewhere.  Intel is still around, after all.    (05)

As long as we're arranging for this, any chance of sucking in the
other two schematic bundles I have?    (06)

Teletype Model 38: ~50 sheets of 11"x17" paper, flat.    (07)

    This seems fairly generic and is in good shape.  I'm not sure why
    it was part of the pile I rescued the lineprocessor stuff from, but
    should be easy enough to scan and you're welcome to it.    (08)

Imlac PDS-1: 62 sheets of 22.5"x34" paper, double-folded.    (09)

    This isn't the same as other Imlac schematics because several of
    its pages contain many hand-written annotations, some
    in pencil and some in red ink.  This was the schematic set used by the
    SRI people who were adapting Imlacs for use by NLS.  It's a little
    more faded and much more fragile than the other sets (eg outer page
    is torn, will need taping); this plus the annotations will make it
    more challenging to scan (color pixels would be best).    (010)

To reiterate, I'd love for you to archive the actual physical
documents; scanning them first is just a way to ensure that their
digitization really does happen.    (011)

--Ken    (012)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (013)