nls-technical

[nls-technical] serial ports with klh10

To: Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
Cc: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 17:47:51 -0800
Hi Ken,    (01)

I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. It's good to have the weekend to
recover!    (02)

As you probably already know, there were two separate pieces of software
written to interface with Augment.    (03)

The first was called AUGTERM and was written sometime in the early or
mid-1980s by Dave Hopper. It ran under MS-DOS as a .COM file and did not
support TCP/IP at all. I believe it only supports making a connection
over the serial port.    (04)

The second was called Visual AugTerm (VAT) and was written sometime in
the mid-1990s by Bob Czech. It runs under Windows as a VisualWorks
image, and it supports TCP/IP.    (05)

I've gotten VAT to connect successfully to my cloned Augment system, and
am now starting to consider how to get AUGTERM to run. As a pleasant
surprise, Jake Feinler gave me a chord keyset this week to try out.    (06)

Since AUGTERM doesn't support TCP/IP, it seems like it would need to
connect somehow across a serial port to the emulated Augment running
under KLH10 on another Linux or Sparc box. And presumably, I would plug
in the chord keyset into the PC, either through a parallel or serial
port, so that AUGTERM could send the correct A12 protocol codes to the
Augment system.    (07)

I looked through the KLH10 docs, but I'm really not clear how KLH10
supports connections via serial port. (What is a DH11 anyway?)    (08)

I figured that you were probably the person who helped Doug set up the
AUGTERM on his DOS machine and helped him connect it to Augment/KLH10 on
his Sparc machine.  How does this work on his existing system?    (09)

Thanks,    (010)

Jonathan    (011)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (012)