nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] serial ports with klh10

To: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Cc: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>, Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
From: Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:03:49 EST
> Since AUGTERM doesn't support TCP/IP, it seems like it would need to
> connect somehow across a serial port to the emulated Augment running
> under KLH10 on another Linux or Sparc box. And presumably, I would plug
> in the chord keyset into the PC, either through a parallel or serial
> port, so that AUGTERM could send the correct A12 protocol codes to the
> Augment system.
>
> I looked through the KLH10 docs, but I'm really not clear how KLH10
> supports connections via serial port. (What is a DH11 anyway?)    (01)

It doesn't.  No one wanted this capability enough to pay for it, and
TCP/IP over the ethernet port is much faster.  (The DH11 was a DEC
serial mux device)    (02)

> I figured that you were probably the person who helped Doug set up the
> AUGTERM on his DOS machine and helped him connect it to Augment/KLH10 on
> his Sparc machine.  How does this work on his existing system?    (03)

I'm not sure, and don't think, that they use this.    (04)

It should work to simply hook up AUGTERM via serial port to some other
machine/system that supports both (a) serial port login, and (b) telnet.
Log into that machine, then telnet from there to the TOPS-20 system
you are running, declare your terminal type to be lineprocessor or
whatever, and run Augment.    (05)

--Ken    (06)

(p.s. FWIW this reminds me I still have a working DM2500, but it would
need a working lineprocessor in order to function as a NLS/Augment
terminal.)    (07)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (08)