nls-restore

Re: [nls-restore] Out, back 6/23

To: nls-restore <nls-restore@chm.cim3.net>
From: Raylene Pak <raylene_pak@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:33:14 -0700 (PDT)

Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com> wrote:
At 03:49 PM 6/17/2005, Raylene Pak wrote:
Jonathan,
1.  While the emulator can share an IP address with the other applications that run on the newell.cim3.com machine, the emulated DEC20/Augment host requires its own IP address.

I assume that all Peter has to do is allocate a additional IP address, and configure the virtual interface to allow two IP addresses for the same MAC.  Presumably, there's no need to have second network card.  It that correct?

This question is best addressed to Ken Harrenstein when he returns.

2.  Any users will require a copy of Augterm (runs only with very old versions of Windows) or the newer UI, VAT (runs on current versions of Windows, but will require some code modification to connect to the new IP address for the DEC20/Augment host).  Currently, Doug is the only one I know of who has a copy of Augterm.  The VAT software belongs to the Bootstrap Institute.  A copy of it is stored on the web and available for download for people with permission from the BI.  It is written in SmallTalk, so perhaps someone who is familiar with that language can make the required IP address changes.

We'll have to talk with Doug about the issues involved in making the VAT client available.  I recall checking into the licensing issues for Digitalk Smalltalk runtime licenses, and I believe the answer was that it's free for non-commercial use.  We will probably need to get permission from Digitalk to package VAT and a Smalltalk runtime for distribution.  Making people download it separately would be too big a hassle.  On a related topic, I recall that Ken and I discussed the idea of creating a Java based Augment client a while back.  This is something we should move to the front burner again, once we get through the first installation.

Raylene

Please feel free to move forward with an installation on Peter's machine whenever it's ready to try.  I'll be out of town from June 19-24, but should have some access to email while I'm gone.

Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz> wrote:
Phil, I spoke with Peter this evening, and he has offered to host the
initial cloned version of Augment. The machine is already up and running
with an external (Internet) IP address. If you are ok with that, we can
start with that machine. Later, as we start to understand how to build
Augment on our own then I'm sure we can run copies on each of our own
machines, including the CHM one.
Hostname: newell.cim3.com
IP address: 64.62.192.8
Hardware: IBM x330 dual (2xP-III/1.13GHz-512KB cache) processor SMP
Memory: 1GB ECC SDRAM
OS: GNU/Linux - Fedora Core 3 distribution
Kernel: 2.6.9-1.681_FC3smp
Raylene, is there any other info that you need in order to prepare the
released version?
Jonathan

Message Archives: http://chm.cim3.net/forum/nls-restore/
To Post: mailto:nls-restore@chm.cim3.net