nls-restore

Re: [nls-restore] Great news on the Boeing front

To: nls-restore <nls-restore@chm.cim3.net>, nls-restore <nls-restore@chm.cim3.net>
Cc: John Toole <toole@computerhistory.org>
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:37:08 -0700
At 09:50 AM 6/11/2005, Peter Yim wrote:
>Thank you for the input, Phil.
>
>I was actually pondering on (and hence my question was directed
>more toward) the good this move (putting the IPR in the public
>domain, if we do so ... AND making all that work accessible in
>all its detail, as CHM is doing, with the NLS-restore project)
>can do to innovation in the future, more so than the move being
>challenged by the past.    (01)

Well, it's certainly true that a lot of techniques were developed years ago
and forgotten that would be useful again if people knew about them.  The
difficult job any project like ours has is to discover and present
techniques and practices in a way that is accessible to current
practitioners.  We should discuss whether this is feasible and how we might
go about it for our project.  Perhaps we can raise this as in issue at a
future CHM sponsored software preservation seminar and discuss how we are
or might attack the problem.    (02)

>Your clarification on USPTO state of affairs was helpful,
>nonetheless.    (03)

One other note.  The US recently adopted the same "first to file" rule used
by nearly every other country.    (04)

>Thanks. =ppy
>--
>

>Philip Gust wrote Sat, 11 Jun 2005 09:36:32 -0700:
> > BTW, what CHM would be putting in the public domain if it went that route
> > is the copyright to the source code and any coverage under trade secrets
> > law.  All we can really say about other IPR is that it's extremely
> unlikely
> > there are any (see my previous comments).
>

> > At 09:02 AM 6/11/2005, Peter Yim wrote:
> >
> >>Yes! I believe this (putting the IPR in the public domain ... AND
> >>making all that work accessible in all its detail, as CHM is
> >>doing) could do wonders on innovations that has a root in the NLS
> >>technologies, going forward, even if we cannot avoid having
> >>software patents, because we have a first-to-invent system going
> >>here (in the US).
> >>
> >>Can someone explain hat this move might connote, under a
> >>first-to-file patent regime?
> >>
> >>=ppy
> >>--
>Message Archives: http://chm.cim3.net/forum/nls-restore/