nls-archive

Re: [nls-archive] AugTerm source

To: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Cc: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>, nls-archive@chm.cim3.net
From: Howard Palmer <hepster@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 18:00:49 -0800
Jonathan,
hmm, that was fast. Do you have a firewall/router at home, or do you connect your PC directly to the DSL modem? I've noticed that since routers are usually kept on and are continously "using" the IP number, they can typically hold onto the IP number longer than a PC, which you might turn off more frequently.
I'm behind a router.  It does NAT to my local addresses, so it has no particular reason to hang on to a given external IP address when there are no active connections.
What I do for my mom is I have a script that automatically mails me her current IP address whenever she turns on the computer. If you set up something similar on your machine, then I can have my hosts.allow file dynamically allow your specific IP address, without having to open up 2^16 simultaneous SBC addresses.
I leave my computer on all the time.  In order to detect a change in my external IP address, I have to connect to the admin interface of the router, or visit an external site that will tell me.

My current IP address is 71.132.13.235, so the range is larger than I thought.

If I'm going to have to monitor my external IP address, I might as well set up dynamic DNS.  Can you filter on a DNS name?

Howard