nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] Fwd: Re: Re: chord keyset

To: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Cc: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>, Gary Oliver <go@ao.com>
From: John Sechrest <sechrest@jas.peak.org>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 07:53:09 -0700

This suggests that the switch should be a momentary switch, since
the state can change programatically. I think we will need to think about
the details of that switch a bit more deeply, so that the correct
usability works.    (01)

Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz> writes:    (02)

 % Hi Phil,
 %
 % Yes, this was the idea that I was referring to in my third bullet point
 % in my previous response. The link I sent discusses the standard (and
 % additional non-standard) keyboard commands that can be sent from a PC
 % back to a keyboard. We could pick one of the unused byte combos to
 % create a "Augment mode enabled" and "Augment mode disabled" pair of
 % commands. That would allow the Java AugTerm to have a way to
 % automatically switch between modes when the mouse gives it focus.
 %
 % Jonathan
 %
 %
 % Philip Gust wrote:
 % > As I mentioned earlier, it would still be interesting to see whether
 % > we can use standard bi-directional PS/2 keyboard protocol to allow
 % > the computer to switch between "keyset mode" and "keyboard mode" (see
 % > http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/). This would enable
 % > the Java Augterm to automatically switch into/out of "keyset mode"
 % > based on focus.  This brings up the more general point that, if at
 % > all possible, the keyset will need to respond to host-to-device
 % > communications like a normal PS/2 keyboard.  This will require a
 % > little research to determine what the keyset needs to be prepared to
 % > respond to in each mode.
 % >