nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] Fwd: Re: Re: chord keyset

To: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>, sechrest@gmail.com
Cc: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>, Gary Oliver <go@ao.com>
From: John Sechrest <sechrest@jas.peak.org>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 07:25:35 -0700

 % As I mentioned earlier, it would still be interesting to see whether
 % we can use standard bi-directional PS/2 keyboard protocol to allow
 % the computer to switch between "keyset mode" and "keyboard mode" (see
 % http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/). This would enable
 % the Java Augterm to automatically switch into/out of "keyset mode"
 % based on focus.  This brings up the more general point that, if at
 % all possible, the keyset will need to respond to host-to-device
 % communications like a normal PS/2 keyboard.  This will require a
 % little research to determine what the keyset needs to be prepared to
 % respond to in each mode.    (01)

 I think that it will be good to have the external switch, so that the
 keyboard knows which mode to come up in as a default. And it can be
 programatically converted between them.     (02)

 % At 10:04 PM 5/8/2006, jonathan wrote:    (03)

 % >   * I'm not clear as to the purpose of the power switch. The chord
 % >keyset is similar to a mouse or PC keyboard, which don't have power
 % >switches.    (04)

 It is not a power switch. It is mislabled in the drawings. it is
 a state switch for the mode of the mouse/keyboard. In one state
 the mouse and keyboard are seperate. In the other mode, the
 three buttons of the mouse and the 5 buttons of the keypad
 are mapped into an 8 bit key code.  (Augment mode)    (05)

 % >   * I saw 3 USB connectors in the back. Presumably, they are to plugin
 % >in the keyboard and mouse into the keyset? Is there going to be an
 % >outgoing USB cable that will plug into a PC?    (06)

 One of the USB connectors is for the PC connection
 One of the USB connectors is for the Mouse
 One of the USB connectors is for a USB Fob    (07)

 I have assummed that the cable to the PC is just a seperate
 cable. And that one of the USB connectors would be labled as
 the upstream connector.     (08)

 % >   * Do you have any details about what the circuit board will do? Is it
 % >just handling the USB logic, or would it be able to handle keyboard
 % >commands (like a standard keyboard microprocessor would). I was thinking
 % >it would be really cool if the circuit board could switch between
 % >standard keyset mode (5 bit) and Augment mode (keyset + 3-button mouse =
 % >8 bits) based on data sent through the PC's keyboard controller to the
 % >chord keyset.    (09)

 The circuit board will do the key processing. And it will programatically
 support the two modes that you describe. To do that it will need to
 operate as a psuedo USB hub. As the key codes pass thru the usb hub,
 it will transform the keycodes based on the switch. To do this makes
 the board more complex. But it makes the Augment mode possible.
 And it makes the keyboard transparent to the PC system, so that
 it will not need any driver on the host.     (010)

 At least that is the goal.     (011)

 % >http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-12.html    (012)

 % >Jonathan    (013)

-----