nls-restore

Re: [nls-restore] Initial steps to clone Doug's system

To: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>, Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
Cc: nls-restore@chm.cim3.net
From: Raylene Pak <raylene_pak@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 16:16:38 -0800 (PST)
Philip,
I just sent an email to Doug that basically recapped the contents of the email I sent to you describing what I proposed to do to ensure a clean, easily restored version of Augment.  I also included some questions about the contents of specific BI directories - what to include and what to exclude.  I will try to reach him by phone tomorrow to follow up on this email.  I will document the results of this conversation in an email sent to nls-restore.
Raylene

Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com> wrote:
Ken and Rayleen,

My understanding from my meeting with Doug on March 10th is that he's OK
with the plan for creating a clean clone of his system. It would be best
if we start this process as soon as possible.

Ken, I suggest contacting Doug to let him know when you plan to do the
initial snapshot. I explained to him that it's possible to do the clone
and have both running on the same machine. Also, could you let Rayleen
know when you plan on having the clone up and running so that she can
schedule time with Doug? I believe she mentioned that the process would
likely take several days, so it would be good to give them as much advance
notice as possible.

Rayleen, I mentioned that Doug is interested in participating in creating
the clean clone; it's something he's thought about and has some ideas about
what should be excluded and what should definitely be included. Once Ken
lets you know when you'll be able to start, could you contact Doug to find
time slots that fit in to both of your schedules? I had a thought that
capturing this process somehow might result in some additional material
that would be useful in annotating the final result. If you agree, what
could we do that wouldn't get in your way or create too much overhead?

There's a Software Collection Committee meeting tomorrow at 1pm. If you
could get back to me before then, I'd like to report whatever progress and
plans we talk about at that point.

Thanks again for your help on this!

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.