nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] augment file structure

To: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Cc: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>, bootstrap-nsf@ws.blueoxen.net
From: Raylene Pak <raylene_pak@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:58:48 -0800 (PST)
Jonathan,
I located the document that I have always used when dealing with the Augment file format.  It's actually still online in the Augment journal.  You can access it there by doing a jump link on <103489,>.  I will attach a copy to this email to allow easier access/printing.  Doug has requested that I attend a meeting with you at his place on the evening of 21 Feb. to discuss the Augment file format.
Raylene

Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz> wrote:
Hi Raylene,

I am currently trying to locate detailed technical information about the
Augment file structure.

I'm already working on a few different paths, but Eugene mentioned to me
that you might be able to help as well. Do you have any documentation
that would give reasonably accurate information of the most recent
implementation of the Augment file structure (the one used on Doug's
current system)? I am not sure how much it has changed over the years.

This is what I have so far:

* About 20 pages of notes that Jeff Rulifson has given to me (scanned
PDF file), which describe the "AHI data structure", so I'm guessing the
notes are from around 1968 or so (no date on the notes).

* I've started reading through the L10 code itself, since of course
that will give me the most accurate description of the data structure.

If you are very familiar with that piece of code, perhaps you could help
walk me through some of it to speed up the process of my understanding.
I've gotten a good amount of the file structure figured out so far, but
still not quite there on some of the details.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Jonathan

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (01)