nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] [bootstrap-nsf] Re: six chord keysets

To: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>, bootstrap-nsf@ws.blueoxen.net
Cc: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:49:42 -0800
Eugene,    (01)

At 09:14 AM 2/10/2006, Eugene Eric Kim wrote:
>For the record, I saw John Sechrest (sechrest --at-- peak --dot-- org)
>this past week in Oregon, and he mentioned that he has a keyset that
>Doug loaned him a while back.  His company tried to do a USB
>interface, but I believe they got hung up at the driver stage.
>Jonathan, it would probably good if you hooked up with him and
>compared notes (and also made sure you got the keyset back).    (02)

Since Jonathan is managing the keysets, I'd like to ask him to shoot
a note to John Secrest and ask him to return the keyset for use by
active projects. (Jonathan, if you could do that before you take off
tomorrow, it might be available when you and Brian are back in town
and able to work on them again).    (03)

>Phillip, are you definitely work on Windows and Mac drivers, and if
>so, do you have a timetable?    (04)

I'm planning on building a Java package to provide keyset input to
applications and applets.  We'll replace the current code in the Java
VAT (JVAT) with this package.    (05)

I'm assuming that this will entail a certain amount of native code on
some platforms.  For Linux, we can probably use the game port device
that Jonathan is already using without native code.  I'm not sure
whether something similar is available on MacOS X.4, but I'll
investigate this before writing native code.  On Windows, we can go
one of three ways:    (06)

1. Investigate whether some part of the Cygwin package provides what
we need (a long shot)
2. Evaluate one of several existing windows-specific Java "game port"
packages (possible)
3. Write new windows-specific code for the keyset (most likely)    (07)

Whichever way, I plan on doing a decent device-side interface that
will make it simple to plug in native code support.
I'm eager to get a keyset so that I can get an interface design out
for review and investigate the platform-specific issues.  I want to
get the JVAT  to a level where Doug can start using it as soon as possible.    (08)

Hopefully, what I produce will also be useful to keyset-enable a
future Hyperscope client.    (09)

>-Eugene
>
>On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 01:14:57AM -0800, Jonathan Cheyer wrote:
>
> > I was hoping to have an update by now on the pinouts of those six chord
> > keysets, and which ones are working or not. Unfortunately,
> > Brian Cardanha has been out of town on business for the last several
> > weeks, so he has not been available to help me obtain the pinouts for
> > them yet. I bought a DB-25 to DE-9 connector cable from Fry's and used
> > it to plug each of the six keysets into my PC's serial port, just to see
> > if I'd get lucky. But I didn't get any data out of them, so I'm assuming
> > these (like the keyset that Jake lent me) have a different pinout.
> >
> > I am looking forward to giving a more successful status update soon.
> >
> > Jonathan
>
>--
>Eugene Eric Kim ......................... http://public.xdi.org/=eekim
>Blue Oxen Associates ........................ http://www.blueoxen.com/