nls-technical

[nls-technical] SRI-NIC DEC-20

To: Bruce Kennard <kennard@insyde.com>
Cc: nls-technical@chm.cim3.net
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 05:29:05 -0800
Bruce,    (01)

I'm working with a group a volunteers at the Computer History Museum
on a project to preserve Doug Engelbart's NLS/Augment system.  Ken
Harrenstien is also working on the project, and mentioned your
name.  We're making some great progress on the software
side.  Working with Doug, Ken, and Rayleen Pak, Jonathan Cheyer has a
complete clone of Augment running on Ken's emulator.  We also have
the Augterm and VAT terminal emulators working.    (02)

Although this started out as a software project, we recently started
getting offers of Augment hardware, such as the original
lineprocessor, a DM2500, and a chord keyset and mouse.  We've come to
realize that preserving the hardware associated with Augment is just
as important as the software.  In fact, we're intrigued by the
possibility of bring up a full hardware version of Augment in
addition to the current emulation.    (03)

Ken told me that you may still have the SRI-NIC DEC-20, and that you
had contacted Dag Spicer at CHM about donating it at one point.  Did
you ever do that, and if not do you still have it?  If so, we'd like
to make sure it goes to the museum if you're still willing to donate
it.  Please let me know, and I'll work with you to expedite the
process and transport it over there.  Do you have any other Augment
related hardware, software, or documentation?    (04)

Best regards,    (05)

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.    (06)

phone: +1 650 961-7992