nls-restore

[nls-restore] emulator issues

To: nls-restore <nls-restore@chm.cim3.net>
From: Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 13:14:24 EDT
OK, I'm back and catching up...    (01)

> At 03:49 PM 6/17/2005, Raylene Pak wrote:
> >Jonathan,
> >1.  While the emulator can share an IP address with the other applications
> >that run on the newell.cim3.com machine, the emulated DEC20/Augment host
> >requires its own IP address.
>
> I assume that all Peter has to do is allocate a additional IP address, and
> configure the virtual interface to allow two IP addresses for the same
> MAC.  Presumably, there's no need to have second network card.  It that
> correct?    (02)

Only if you don't care about connecting to the virtual 20 from the
same machine it's running on.  Linux, AFAIK, has never correctly
supported tapping into the outbound packet stream.  So, if you want to
telnet from the native system into the emulated DEC20, you either have
to first telnet out to some other place, and then back into the
DEC20... or have a second ethernet port dedicated to the DEC20.  In
practice, the second NIC is the simplest/cheapest workaround and makes
it easier to debug problems.    (03)

Many dual-processor boards have dual NICs on them already.  You might
check to see if this one does.    (04)

> >2.  Any users will require a copy of Augterm (runs only with very old
> >versions of Windows) or the newer UI, VAT (runs on current versions of
> >Windows, but will require some code modification to connect to the new IP
> >address for the DEC20/Augment host).  Currently, Doug is the only one I
> >know of who has a copy of Augterm.  The VAT software belongs to the
> >Bootstrap Institute.  A copy of it is stored on the web and available for
> >download for people with permission from the BI.  It is written in
> >SmallTalk, so perhaps someone who is familiar with that language can make
> >the required IP address changes.
>
> We'll have to talk with Doug about the issues involved in making the VAT
> client available.  I recall checking into the licensing issues for Digitalk
> Smalltalk runtime licenses, and I believe the answer was that it's free for
> non-commercial use.  We will probably need to get permission from Digitalk
> to package VAT and a Smalltalk runtime for distribution.  Making people
> download it separately would be too big a hassle.  On a related topic, I
> recall that Ken and I discussed the idea of creating a Java based Augment
> client a while back.  This is something we should move to the front burner
> again, once we get through the first installation.    (05)

Yep.  The actual protocol is quite simple, unless it changed since
Augment left SRI.    (06)

> >Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz> wrote:
> >Phil, I spoke with Peter this evening, and he has offered to host the
> >initial cloned version of Augment. The machine is already up and running
> >with an external (Internet) IP address. If you are ok with that, we can
> >start with that machine. Later, as we start to understand how to build
> >Augment on our own then I'm sure we can run copies on each of our own
> >machines, including the CHM one.
> >Hostname: newell.cim3.com
> >IP address: 64.62.192.8
> >Hardware: IBM x330 dual (2xP-III/1.13GHz-512KB cache) processor SMP
> >Memory: 1GB ECC SDRAM
> >OS: GNU/Linux - Fedora Core 3 distribution
> >Kernel: 2.6.9-1.681_FC3smp
> >Raylene, is there any other info that you need in order to prepare the
> >released version?    (07)

That sounds good, although at 1.13GHz your response is not going to be
quite as spiffy as that of the current BI system :-)    (08)

We'll probably need to recompile the emulator; as long as you included
GCC (C compiler) during the FC3 install, things should be fine.    (09)

--Ken
Message Archives: http://chm.cim3.net/forum/nls-restore/
To Post: mailto:nls-restore@chm.cim3.net
Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/wiki/    (010)