nls-restore

Re: [nls-restore] emulator issues

To: nls-restore <nls-restore@chm.cim3.net>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:41:49 -0700
Ken, thanks for replying.    (01)

My own comments are also inline.    (02)

Jonathan    (03)

Ken Harrenstien wrote:
> OK, I'm back and catching up...
>

>>At 03:49 PM 6/17/2005, Raylene Pak wrote:
>>
>>>Jonathan,
>>>1.  While the emulator can share an IP address with the other applications
>>>that run on the newell.cim3.com machine, the emulated DEC20/Augment host
>>>requires its own IP address.
>>
>>I assume that all Peter has to do is allocate a additional IP address, and
>>configure the virtual interface to allow two IP addresses for the same
>>MAC.  Presumably, there's no need to have second network card.  It that
>>correct?
>

> Only if you don't care about connecting to the virtual 20 from the
> same machine it's running on.  Linux, AFAIK, has never correctly
> supported tapping into the outbound packet stream.  So, if you want to
> telnet from the native system into the emulated DEC20, you either have
> to first telnet out to some other place, and then back into the
> DEC20... or have a second ethernet port dedicated to the DEC20.  In
> practice, the second NIC is the simplest/cheapest workaround and makes
> it easier to debug problems.
>
> Many dual-processor boards have dual NICs on them already.  You might
> check to see if this one does.    (04)

Jonathan: Yes, I spoke with Peter about this already, and he is going to
place another NIC card into the machine to be available as a second
external IP. (The existing dual NIC is already used up for one external
and one internal IP number.) This will be available by Monday, and then
I'll post the second IP number to this list so that Raylene has the
information.    (05)

> That sounds good, although at 1.13GHz your response is not going to be
> quite as spiffy as that of the current BI system :-)    (06)

If we notice any slowdown of any kind, I'm sure Peter can make available
for us a faster machine, right Peter? ;-)    (07)

> We'll probably need to recompile the emulator; as long as you included
> GCC (C compiler) during the FC3 install, things should be fine.    (08)

Yes, the box has the standard gcc, make, and the other usual developer
tools loaded so it shouldn't be a problem.
Message Archives: http://chm.cim3.net/forum/nls-restore/
To Post: mailto:nls-restore@chm.cim3.net
Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/wiki/    (09)