nls-restore

[nls-restore] Resend of earlier report on meeting with Doug (without lin

To: nls-restore@chm.cim3.net
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:01:51 -0800
Doug and I spoke by phone late yesterday afternoon.  He apologized for not
getting back to us sooner, and wanted to find out about the status of the
project.  I told him that there was an "active" team in place, backed up by
an "advisory" team, and that we had a plan for at least the first steps of
the project.  He said he'd like to hear about it and invited me to his
house for an early morning meeting today.    (01)

We talked through the set of slides I presented at the CHM meeting in
February (see
http://chm.cim3.net/file/work/project/nls-restore/meeting/CHS_meeting_report--PhilGust_20050216b.ppt)    (02)

I presented the three-step plan to get a "clean" version of Augment that
can be installed onto a fresh version of TOPS-20.  He was especially happy
about the item about getting Boeing to release Augment to the public
domain.  He really wants to see this, and has been frustrated in past
attempts to get it.    (03)

I let Doug know that Kathe had researched the chain of ownership, and that
John Toole will be sending Lou Platt a note get the discussion
started.  Kathe and I will also be attending a HP retiree's lunch where Lou
will be speaking on March 15th, and I plan to tackle him then
too.  According to John, Lou still lives in the bay area and commutes to
Washington.  With the recent dust-up with Boeing, Lou is getting busier,
but maybe we can even get him to sit down with John and me at some point in
the near future to discuss this. Doug seemed very happy that we are
tackling this.    (04)

Doug and I discussed the steps to getting a clean version of Augment, and
he seems comfortable with how Ken plans to do the clone, and with Doug and
Rayleen working together to delete personal and confidential data. I told
him that I would ask Ken and Rayleen to contact him to find a convenient
time to do it, as soon as practical.    (05)

I also brought up Rayleen's issue about releasing a PC based Augment user
interface to the CHM
(http://chm.cim3.net/forum//nls-restore/2005-02/msg00049.html). Doug didn't
seem aware of the licensing issue related to distributing a SmallTalk
runtime license with the client. I told him that we would have to see if we
can work this issue so that we can distribute the Augment client royalty
free.  I also mentioned Ken's idea
(http://chm.cim3.net/forum//nls-restore/2005-02/msg00051.html) of building
a new "thin" client, probably in Java. I told him I though we might be able
to build it as an applet, so that people can use a standard web browser
without requiring installation.    (06)

Doug brought up HyperScope (http://www.bootstrap.org/augdocs/bi-2120.html)
and how that might fit in.  I told him I didn't have an immediate answer,
but that I would raise the issue with the group. We really should give this
some attention, once we complete the initial preservation work.    (07)

So the bottom line is that Doug said that he is comfortable with the plan,
and with serving as something between an active member and an advisor. Ken
and Rayleen, I'd appreciate it if you would coordinate on this and contact
Doug ASAP to arrange a time to get this started.  Please let us all know if
any new issues or concerns come up as a result.    (08)

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.    (09)

phone: +1 650 961-7992
fax:   +1 520 843-7217    (010)