nls-restore

Re: [nls-restore] Discussion with Doug Engelbart this morning

To: nls-restore <nls-restore@chm.cim3.net>, nls-restore@chm.cim3.net
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:51:51 -0800
I really apologize for the formatting of the previous message. It looked
fine when it left my mail program.  Mail gateways should NEVER force line
breaks.  Peter, could you please make whatever adjustment is appropriate so
this doesn't happen?    (01)

At 02:25 PM 3/11/2005, Philip Gust wrote:    (02)

> [...]
>see this,
>and has been frustrated in past attempts to get it.
>
>I let Doug know that Kathe had researched the chain of ownership, and that
>John
>Toole will be sending Lou Platt a note get the discussion started.  Kathe
>and I will
>also be attending a HP retiree's lunch where Lou will be speaking on March
>15th,
>and I plan to tackle him then too.  According to John, Lou still lives in
>the bay area
>and commutes to Washington.  With the recent dust-up with Boeing, Lou is
>getting
>busier, but maybe we can even get him to sit down with John and me at some
>point
>in the near future to discuss this. Doug seemed very happy that we are
>tackling this.
>
>Doug and I discussed the steps to getting a clean version of Augment, and
>he seems
>comfortable with how Ken plans to do the clone, and with Doug and Rayleen
>working
>together to delete personal and confidential data. I told him that I would
>ask Ken and
>Rayleen to contact him to find a convenient time to do it, as soon as
>practical.
>
>I also brought up Rayleen's issue about releasing a PC based Augment user
>interface
>to the CHM (http://chm.cim3.net/forum//nls-restore/2005-02/msg00049.html).
>Doug
>didn't seem aware of the licensing issue related to distributing a
>SmallTalk runtime
>license with the client. I told him that we would have to see if we can
>work this issue
>so that we can distribute the Augment client royalty free.  I also
>mentioned Ken's idea
>(http://chm.cim3.net/forum//nls-restore/2005-02/msg00051.html) of building
>a new "thin"
>client, probably in Java. I told him I though we might be able to build it
>as an applet,
>so that people can use a standard web browser without requiring installation.
>
>Doug brought up HyperScope (http://www.bootstrap.org/augdocs/bi-2120.html) and
>how that might fit in.  I told him I didn't have an immediate answer, but
>that I would
>raise the issue with the group. We really should give this some attention,
>once we
>complete the initial preservation work.
>
>So the bottom line is that Doug said that he is comfortable with the plan,
>and with
>serving as something between an active member and an advisor. Ken and
>Rayleen, I'd
>appreciate it if you would coordinate on this and contact Doug ASAP to
>arrange a
>time to get this started.  Please let us all know if any new issues or

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.    (04)

phone: +1 650 961-7992
fax:   +1 520 843-7217    (05)