nls-restore

Re: [nls-restore] Resend of earlier report on meeting with Doug

To: nls-restore <nls-restore@chm.cim3.net>
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:46:25 -0800
Peter,    (01)

I notice that CinCom Smalltalk is available at no charge for non-commercial
applications
(http://smalltalk.cincom.com/prodinformation/index.ssp?content=nc).  So I
believe we'd be covered if we released the Smalltalk client source code to
the public domain, but placed non-commercial use restrictions on the
commercial deployment of the client binary. It does mean, though, that we
would want to move forward to develop a new client relatively soon.  Again,
Java would probably be the best choice, and either making it an applet
(best choice) or launchable from WebStart would be the best deployment method.    (02)

At 04:45 PM 3/11/2005, you wrote:
>  > I also brought up Rayleen's issue about releasing
>  > a PC based Augment user
>  > interface to the CHM
>  > (http://chm.cim3.net/forum//nls-restore/2005-02/msg00049.html).
>  > Doug didn't seem aware of the licensing
>  > issue related to distributing a SmallTalk
>  > runtime license with the client.
>
>Cincom probably owns the rights to SmallTalk now. Depending on
>what Kathe's research show, I can help find out more by talking
>to David Leibs too (if need be).  David (previously Director of
>Technical Research at ParcPlace) has been, along with Doug and
>others, on our Millennium Project SOFI System Architecture
>Advisory Panel (ref:
>http://mp.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?MP-SOFI-SD#nid027 ).
>
>=ppy
>--
>
>Philip Gust wrote Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:01:51 -0800:
> > Doug and I spoke by phone late yesterday afternoon. ...[snip]...
>Message Archives: http://chm.cim3.net/forum/nls-restore/
>Shared Files: http://chm.cim3.net/file/work/project/nls-restore/
>Community Portal: http://www.computerhistory.org/
>To Post: mailto:nls-restore@chm.cim3.net