nls-legal

Re: [nls-legal] BT response..

To: "John Toole" <toole@computerhistory.org>, "Philip Gust" <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Cc: Bernard Peuto <blpeuto@peuto.com>, nls-legal@chm.cim3.net
From: "Sally Abel" <SAbel@fenwick.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 08:32:47 -0800
I agree with John's analysis.

From: John Toole [mailto:toole@computerhistory.org]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 1:41 PM
To: Philip Gust
Cc: nls-legal@chm.cim3.net; Sally Abel; Bernard Peuto
Subject: RE: BT response..

Phil,

Somehow, I don’t necessarily think it may be a good idea to post, but could be convinced otherwise.  I don’t want to keep a quasi-public trail of the legal history and imply a precedent for all our software, when fair use may more generally apply.  Others seeing it may conclude that this is the only way to go, although it certainly shows our (your) due diligence.   We simply don’t know where it’s going.  If you wanted to encourage others to follow, you could always do that one on one.  However, the overhead for this one piece of software is frightening.

--John