nls-archive

Re: [nls-archive] Doug extra - please read

To: blpeuto@peuto.com
Cc: 'John Toole' <toole@computerhistory.org>, NLS Restoration Archive <nls-archive@chm.cim3.net>, 'Mike Walton' <walton@computerhistory.org>, 'Kirsten Tashev' <tashev@computerhistory.org>, 'Anel Muller' <muller@computerhistory.org>, 'Philip Gust' <gust@NouveauSystems.com>, 'Yan Rosenshteyn' <rosenshteyn@computerhistory.org>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 08:16:58 -0800
Kirsten and Mike,    (01)

We have three computer configurations planned for tonight, but we are
hoping to focus primarily on #1. Doug plans to spend the majority of the
time using #1. If that doesn't work for some reason due to technical
reasons, he will use #2 instead. If 1) works, he may show #2 for a few
minutes also if there is enough time.    (02)

And #3 is something I am hoping to show just for a few minutes at the
end, if there is enough time. It is not necessary to video #3, since it
will just be me doing a quick status and show-and-tell of how the
project is going.    (03)

1) DOS desktop PC (circa 1985), with modem using analog telephone line.
This is Doug's preferred computer to do the demo on. Assuming that the
PC video output can be plugged into the projector, then we should have
overhead view of Doug's screen. Since it's an old machine, I'm not
positive that this will work but seems likely. It requires a working
connection over moem to a back-end system in order to work.    (04)

2) Older Windows laptop (running Windows 95/98 I think), with TCP/IP
connection. It requires a working TCP/IP connection (outgoing telnet) to
bootstrap.org site.    (05)

3) Linux laptop (Dell Latitude D600), running standalone, no network
access needed. Should work with video projector without any problems.    (06)

Although Yan's software would be useful, it probably won't work for any
of the three combinations (except possibly #2).    (07)

There are two interesting areas for cameras to focus on in the demo. The
first is, of course, the projector screen. The second is to capture
Doug's face, but equally important is to focus on his hands. He will be
using a keyboard, mouse, and a chord keyset. The chord keyset is the
most interesting part from the perspective of the viewer, since it isn't
used in modern day computing. Since Doug is an expert using the
combination of all three, it is good to capture a combination of what he
is doing along with the screen.    (08)

It is probably too difficult to do, but if the video cameras for both
the projector and face/hands were synched time-wise, it would be neat to
put both up on a site (one above, and one below), running at the same
time so that a viewer could see some of the key presses as the screen
gets updated.    (09)

If you need any additional information to prepare for the demo, please
let me know. Also feel free to call me on my cell phone - 408-569-7068.    (010)

Jonathan    (011)