nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] [SCC_Active_Members] Xerox Keyset Investigation Prop

To: Paul McJones <paul@mcjones.org>
Cc: nls-technical@chm.cim3.net, SCC_active@computerhistory.org, Dag Spicer <spicer@computerhistory.org>
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 12:22:51 -0700
At 11:26 AM 5/3/2006, Paul McJones wrote:
>Phil,
>
>Your plan seems fine, but I have two minor comments:
>
>1. In your "Type D" pinout (for the Alto keysets), shouldn't you
>also list the ground pin? (From 05b_KBD.pdf, sheet 5, that appears
>to be pin 19).    (01)

The table at the bottom of page 2 and the schematic near the top of
page 3 show ground as being pin 19.  The problem be that the pin 19
row of the table slopped over to the next page -- sorry about that.
(I'd kill for a "keep this table together" setting in Word).    (02)

>2. Although your proposed scheme using a "Type D"-to-gameport cable
>seems fine, an even more direct approach would be to take an
>ohmmeter or other continuity tester and "ring out" the Alto keyset:
>attach one lead to ground, another to the pin for key0, then press
>the various keyset keys and verify that the zeroth one (leftmost or
>rightmost?) closes the circuit; repeat for the other four pins
>purported to be connected to a key.    (03)

Your're right, we could have done that too.  But we had someone who
was willing to build the cable, and it seemed like a cable would let
us go faster for multiple keysets, and also test without having to
handle the connectors as much.  Besides, there's the "cool" factor,
as well as some poetic justice, in actually using a Xerox keyset to
control NLS.    (04)

>Paul
>

>Philip Gust wrote:
>>Dag,
>>Attached is a proposal for an investigation of the Xerox Alto
>>keysets in the CHM collection by the SCC NLS project.  If you need
>>additional information, please feel free to contact me at any
>>time.  If possible, we would like to complete this investigation
>>and produce a report in time for the next SCC meeting on May 17th.
>>Best regards,
>>

>>Philip Gust
>>Nouveau Systems, Inc.
>>3120 De La Cruz Blvd., Suite 120
>>Santa Clara, CA 95054
>>phone: +1 650 961-7992
>>fax:   +1 520 843-7217
>>mailto: gust@NouveauSystems.com
>>Nouveau Systems products seamlessly integrate collaboration,
>>information management, processes automation, and capture of
>>mission-critical knowledge.  To learn how Nouveau Systems products
>>can help your organization drive innovation, visit:
>>http://www.NouveauSystems.com

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.
3120 De La Cruz Blvd., Suite 120