nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] Would like to test chord keysets in CHM collection

To: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>
Cc: Paula Jabloner <jabloner@computerhistory.org>, Allison Akbay <akbay@computerhistory.org>, Randall Neff <randall.neff@gmail.com>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:16:15 -0800
Phil,    (01)

Randall gave me a quick tour last night, and we counted the chord
keysets that the CHM has.    (02)

There appear to be a total of 5 keysets:
  * 4 Xerox Alto keysets (3 shown in the museum and 1 back in the
archival area)
  * 1 hand-crafted keyset patterned after the Alto (donated by an
individual)
  * Surprisingly, there are no SRI vintage keysets    (03)

We were not able to look at the cable ending for all of the keysets, but
it seems likely that they will all have the same ending since they are
all Alto keysets. We did look at the ending of one of them, and I think
it is a 20 pin female connector:    (04)

  X O O O O O O
   O X X X X X
  O O O O O O O    (05)

The O represent normal open holes for the female connector, and the X
represents areas where the holes are filled in.    (06)

It is definitely a completely different connector than any of the 3
keysets that we have seen from the SRI vintage keysets.
http://blueoxen.net/c/hyperscope/wiki.pl?KeysetPinouts    (07)

None of our adapters will work with those keysets, and we would need to
investigate more carefully to get the exact pinout for these keysets.    (08)

I did a quick search on the Net but was unable to locate any images or
pinout information for Alto keysets. Unfortunately, the photos that are
entered in the CHM catalog are not closeups of the keyset connector and
are not high enough resolution to see any details.    (09)

I didn't have my notebook with me when Randall took me around, so I had
to write this up from memory. Perhaps we can do a more detailed
investigation next time to make sure that my connector diagram above is
correct.    (010)

Jonathan    (011)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (013)