nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] Would like to test chord keysets in CHM collection

To: "Allison Akbay" <akbay@computerhistory.org>
Cc: nls-technical@chm.cim3.net, Paula Jabloner <jabloner@computerhistory.org>
From: Philip Gust <gust@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:38:04 -0800
Allison,    (01)

Testing them is definitely non-destructive.   We plug the connector
on the keyset into the matching 15 pin connector of either the "A" or
"B" cable, then plug the cable into the laptop USB using a commercial
game port adapter.  Then we run an application that reads the keyset
as though it was a joystick as we press the keys.  If the "A" cable
doesn't work, it causes no harm to the keyset.  We simply try the
same thing with the "B" cable.    (02)

The benefit to the museum is that you will have valuable information
about the keysets in your collection, as they relate to the keysets
on loan to us from Doug Engelbart.  For any SRI vintage keysets, you
will know the exact pinout configuration for that keyset, and how to
connect it to a standard computer.  The schematics for both "A" and
"B" pin configurations are on the NLS Restoration project WIKI.  We
don't expect to see a third type at this point, but you never know.    (03)

For any Xerox vintage keysets, you will know whether they are the
same or different from the ones from SRI, as far as their interfaces
are concerned.  The Xerox keysets were built by people who left SRI,
so I would expect them to be the same, but again you never know.  If
the Xerox keysets are neither "A" nor "B", then determining the
pinout information would help relate the SRI and Xerox models.A
qualified electrical engineer from Sun did the work of determining
the pinouts for us, and he is now very familiar with the issue of
working with vintage keysets.    (04)

As a starting point, it would be good to create an inventory of all
SRI and Xerox vintge keysets in the collection.  Is that something
that is possible to do on-line, or does it require going to the shelves?    (05)

Thanks for your quick response, and I apologize for seemingly trying
to rush things.  I understand your concern and appreciate your
willingness to consider our request.    (06)

Philip Gust
(650) 961-7992 (daytime)
(650) 367-7763 (evening)
gust@acm.org     (08)