nls-technical

[nls-technical] Would like to test chord keysets in CHM collection

To: "Paula Jabloner" <jabloner@computerhistory.org>
Cc: nls-technical@chm.cim3.net
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:02:01 -0800
Paula,    (01)

Jonathan Cheyer is doing a project to characterize all available
chord keysets by the type of interface they use to connect to the
computer.  He has all six remaining ones from Doug Engelbart,.He's
discovered that they all have "joystick-like" interfaces, and that
there are two different wiring pinouts, which we refer to as "A" and
"B".  Thanks to Jonathan's work, we're actually able to read them on
our computers using a custom "A" or "B" cable and a commercial
joystick adapter.    (02)

We'd like to test any chord keysets that CHM has in its collection to
determine whether they fall into one of these two categories.  Those
keysets may be from the SRI group, or ones subsequently built by
Xerox for the Alto.  I know that there is one such keyset on the Alto
in the lobby area, and there may be others.    (03)

Would it be possible for us to take a few minutes and test the Alto
keyset in the lobby after the SCC meeting?  If that's not a
convenient time, could we make an appointment to come over some other
time to do that?  We'd also appreciate it if you could search your
catalog to identify any other keysets that we can test at the same time.    (04)

Thanks in advance for your help.  Will you be at the meeting this afternoon?    (05)

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.
3120 De La Cruz Blvd., Suite 120
Santa Clara, CA 95054    (06)

phone: +1 650 961-7992
fax:   +1 520 843-7217    (07)

mailto: gust@NouveauSystems.com    (08)

Nouveau Systems collaboration-enabled infrastructure and applications
provide integrated information management, process automation and
knowledge capture.  To learn how Nouveau Systems products can help
your knowledge-based organization drive innovation, visit:
http://www.NouveauSystems.com    (09)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (010)