nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] Possible keyset alternative

To: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:33:17 -0800
Phil,    (01)

I think that's a great idea.    (02)

 From a human factors standpoint, it might be more comfortable for
someone using it to use the third row (*, 9, 6, 3) for the four fingers
and the first row (0) for the thumb.    (03)

You could code it so that any of the numbers in the first column (7, 8,
9) could be used for the pinky (chord keyset 'p' key), any of the
numbers in the second column (4, 5, 6) could be used for the ring finger
(chord keyset 'h' key), etc.    (04)

Like Jeff mentions, as long as the hardware itself allows sending key
events for 5 simultaneously pressed key, it will work from the Java
side. And it will definitely be easy to get it work in the JAugTerm program.    (05)

Phil, I've got a small Java program that you can use to do an
interactive test with any keyset that complies with the KeysetListener
interface that I defined, so you don't even need to actually test it
with Augment at all in order to know that it will work successfully
(although that is part of the fun. :-).    (06)

Jonathan    (07)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (09)