nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] Java AugTerm stability

To: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Cc: nls-technical@chm.cim3.net
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:04:57 -0800
Philip Gust wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> I'm glad the basic Java AugTerm (JAT?, JAugTerm?, JVAT? -- let's pick
> one!) is working as expected. That should make it possible to get a copy
> to Doug earlier, once we can get the keyset working under Windows.      (01)

I guess my preference is JAugTerm, since I feel like it relates more to
the original DOS AugTerm than the VAT. But I don't have any strong
feelings about it one way or another.    (02)

> We should ask Doug if we can come over and test the interface on his
> keysets at home and at Logitec to see if they are plain old RS-232.  If
> so, it should be simple to create an RS-232 implementation that matches
> the interface you defined.  This will enable him to start using the Java
> software on a normal PC.    (03)

It would definitely be useful to inspect Doug's keysets more carefully
to see what kind of wiring they are using.    (04)

> On the TOPS-20 issue, can we eliminate the Java AugTerm from the
> equation?  For example, does the SmallTalk based VAT show the same
> symptoms when connected to the TOPS-20 system on your laptop?  Another
> avenue is to check with Ken H. I thought he mentioned some time ago that
> he was setting up another Augment system for Doug that used his
> emulator.  I wonder whether he ever finished that.    (05)

That's a good question. I haven't had a chance to check that yet. I will
try out the VAT and see if I can notice any of those symptoms.    (06)

> It would be good to get a cloned system on one of my machines ASAP so
> that we can start comparing notes on this.    (07)

Ok, sounds good. Maybe we can meet for breakfast sometime this week and
do a work session. How about Thursday or Friday?    (08)

> BTW, I didn't copy the Blue Oxen list on this, since I'm not sure how
> public it is.  I wasn't sure we wanted to discuss our use of a cloned
> Augment system on a more public forum just yet.  What's your take?    (09)

You're probably right. Once Eugene locates a lawyer within our
community, this is a question that we should be able to have clarified.    (010)

Jonathan    (011)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (012)