nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] Fwd: [bootstrap-nsf] Re: chord keyset

To: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>
Cc: hyperscope-dev <hyperscope-dev@blueoxen.net>, sechrest@peak.org
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 00:51:13 -0800
Hi Eugene,    (01)

The NLS Restoration project does indeed have an existing site that is
expected to be fully public.
http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (02)

Unfortunately, due to legal reasons, I have reluctantly kept it as a
closed community for the moment. There is a member password to enter the
site, and anyone with an active interest in the project can have read
access to the project information, and write access to help contribute
to the pool of information.    (03)

Our intent was to have secured the legal paperwork by now, so we could
open up the site for everyone. Unfortunately, the legal side of the NLS
Restoration project is going much slower than anticipated, and we are
not able to do so as yet.    (04)

Just as with with the distribution lists problems, I'd really like to
avoid clashes and repeat information between the NLS Restoration wiki
and the hyperscope wiki.    (05)

I'd like to propose that any documentation and source code that is
historical in nature (some of which is likely under copyright) be placed
within the NLS Restoration wiki and filespace, in the (currently) closed
community. For example, detailed information about the original chord
keysets, or technical information about the original NLS system can go
in the NLS Restoration site. This will keep that information under the
auspices of the Computer History Museum, for historical interest and
preservation, as well as respect any existing copyrights.    (06)

Documents that are written about new developments (i.e. new versions of
chord keysets) and source code that is new (i.e. Java AugTerm, python
Aug2XML) could be placed in the hyperscope wiki and filespace.    (07)

Comments from anyone involved in either project?    (08)

Jonathan    (09)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (011)