nls-restore

Re: Restart of NLS/Augment effort

To: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Cc: Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>, "Peter P. Yim" <peter.yim@cim3.com>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 07:32:12 -0800
Phil,    (01)

I agree with you that open IP is a bigger issue than open source. I
wasn't aware that SRI/Tymshare/McDonnell-Douglas/Boeing had any IP
claims beyond the copyright of the source code and documentation. If
that is the case, then we do have much more work to do. Any ideas on how
we can even determine what kind of IP they might have?    (02)

In the short term, free/open source or public domain is very important.
This is because people won't build entire new systems in the short term.
They will want to make improvements on the existing NLS first. It will
need to be available for people to do that first. Only later in the
longer term, will people likely write their own systems from scratch,
based on the ideas in NLS, and then I agree that open source is less
important.    (03)

Jonathan    (04)