nls-archive

Re: [nls-archive] keysets

To: Eugene Eric Kim <eekim@blueoxen.com>
Cc: jonathan@cheyer.biz, nls-archive@chm.cim3.net
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:36:50 -0800
At 05:32 PM 1/28/2006, Eugene Eric Kim wrote:
>Hi Phil,
>
>Jon has the keysets, not me, and he's in San Diego this weekend.  I'm
>a little confused, so if you could clarify a few things, that would be
>great.  Is this for the Augment restoration project?  Are you planning
>on writing the Windows and Mac drivers for the keysets?  Is the museum
>paying for the contractor to work on the Java emulator?    (01)

Yes, I plan on doing whatever work is needed so that the keysets can
be used with the Java Augterm on Windows and MacOS.  Jonathan was
able to get it working on Linux, and I offered to do the same on the
other platforms, where I have some expertise.    (02)

As part of the NLS restoration project, we wanted to enable people to
log in to a remote Augment server.  We found that the two current
Augterm clients aren't viable, since one of them only runs under DOS,
and the other requires a long-obsolete version of Digitalk
SmallTalk.  Consequently, we decided to build a Java based Augterm
that could be deployed as an applet in a web browswer.    (03)

We were lucky to find a volunteer.  The person got a basic version
running, but it's not quite feature complete.  Also, Doug found that
it was hard to use because it was subject to freezing up, and it
didn't work exactly like the Augterm he's used to
using.  Consequently, we're going to try to enhance it over the next
month or two.  The goal is to get it to the point where Doug is
comfortable switching over to it.  I'm planning on doing some
additional development, and I've also talked with a couple of other
people who might also be willing to volunteer.    (04)

>My first priority is to see the keysets fixed and adaptors built so
>that the keysets are usable.  Then, I'm planning on distributing the
>keysets to developers (and Christina) on the NSF project so that they
>can get acclimated with Augment.  We'll most likely need three of the
>keysets for this.    (05)

Sound's like we both want to ensure the keysets are working.  Let's
talk about how to allocated them to the two projects.  Doug
originally committed three to the NLS restoration project.  If less
than six are working, let's work out a way both projects can move forward.    (06)

I'm also planning to see what it would take to get more keysets
manufactured. I haven't done circuit design in 20 years, but a friend
of mine who's a crackerjack EE might be willing to help. Another
friend does mechanical design, and might also be willing to help with
that part.  Working with reproduction keysets seems like a better way
to go for both projects than risking scarce originals  It would also
make it easier to write to one interface, since the originals seem to
all have different interfaces.    (07)

>-Eugene
>
>On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 04:18:02PM -0800, Philip Gust wrote:
>
> > I'd appreciate it if you could arrange to bring three of them to
> > Doug's party tomorrow.  One is going to the Museum, one is for me
> > (I'm working on the Windows and MacOS interfaces) and one is for a
> > contractor I have on tap who is interested in doing more work on the
> > Java emulator.  Ones that work with the serial port would be best but
> > I can work with ones like Jonathan's as well since I purchased the
> > same interface boxes.
> >
> > Thanks, and I'll look forward to seeing you tomorrow.  This would be
> > a good time time to do the hand-off on the key sets since we'll all be
> > there.
> >
> > Do you have a specific, near-term use in mind for the other ones?
> >
> > Thanks,
>
>--
>Eugene Eric Kim ......................... http://public.xdi.org/=eekim
>Blue Oxen Associates ........................ http://www.blueoxen.com/