nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] [Fwd: Re: NLS/AUGMENT question.]

To: Alex Bochannek <alex@p9.com>
Cc: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>, Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU>, Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2007 09:13:24 -0800
It seems like everyone agrees that we shouldn't change code just to work
around compiler bugs.    (01)

One of the goals of NLS Restoration project is to make available the
entire NLS system, including everything that is needed to run it, both
in source and binary form. We'd like to make it as easy as possible for
people to get started using the system right away. Of course, for most
people that will mean making a pre-built binary available. We'd also
like to make it as easy as possible to build the whole environment
(including klh10) from source code.    (02)

Perhaps we could make available a separate Makefile (or additional
target in the current ./bld/lnx86/Makefile) only for Linux gcc-4.x
systems which would pre-patch (using the workaround changes that Alex
provided) just for that system? We could then add some documentation
that describes this is purely as a convenience mechanism for the new
user to workaround the broken gcc behavior.    (03)

Are there other suggestions or ideas that would help us reach our NLS
Restoration goals?    (04)

Jonathan    (05)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (07)