nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] [SCC_Active_Members] Test summary of Xerox and SRI k

To: Ed Taft <taft@adobe.com>
Cc: nls-technical@chm.cim3.net, SCC active <scc_active@computerhistory.org>
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:34:42 -0700
Ed,    (01)

Thanks for posting this!  It seems like the right explanation for
what we're seeing.  We'll make a note of that in our report and documentation.    (02)

At 11:20 AM 5/19/2006, Ed Taft wrote:
>On 5/19/2006 10:45 AM, Philip Gust wrote:
>>The only problem encountered was that our custom adapter cable was
>>wired backwards, so key0 registered as key4, an so forth.  The
>>cable was built from Xerox Alto schematics, and we need to
>>determine whether the problem was how the cable was wired or the
>>schematics.  In any case we were still able to complete the tests,
>>and we can easily rewire the cable to set things right.
>Here is a possible explanation for this discrepancy --
>
>The Alto, like most machines designed at Xerox PARC, was a
>big-endian machine. It was PARC custom to number bits on such a
>machine left-to-right, so that the high-order bit is numbered 0.
>This is in contrast to today's almost universal industry practice of
>numbering bits right-to-left, so that the low-order bit is numbered
>0. This might have caused confusion in interpreting the Alto schematics.
>
>Ed Taft    (03)

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.
3120 De La Cruz Blvd., Suite 120
Santa Clara, CA 95054    (04)

phone: +1 650 961-7992
fax:   +1 520 843-7217    (05)

mailto: gust@NouveauSystems.com    (06)

Nouveau Systems products seamlessly integrate collaboration,
information management, processes automation, and capture of
mission-critical knowledge.  To learn how Nouveau Systems products
can help your organization drive innovation, visit:
http://www.NouveauSystems.com    (07)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (08)