nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] [SCC_Active_Members] Test summary of Xerox and SRI k

To: Philip Gust <gust@nouveausystems.com>
Cc: nls-technical@chm.cim3.net, SCC active <scc_active@computerhistory.org>
From: Ed Taft <taft@adobe.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:20:00 -0700
On 5/19/2006 10:45 AM, Philip Gust wrote:
> The only problem encountered was that our custom adapter cable was
> wired backwards, so key0 registered as key4, an so forth.  The cable
> was built from Xerox Alto schematics, and we need to determine whether
> the problem was how the cable was wired or the schematics.  In any
> case we were still able to complete the tests, and we can easily
> rewire the cable to set things right.
Here is a possible explanation for this discrepancy --    (01)

The Alto, like most machines designed at Xerox PARC, was a big-endian
machine. It was PARC custom to number bits on such a machine
left-to-right, so that the high-order bit is numbered 0. This is in
contrast to today's almost universal industry practice of numbering bits
right-to-left, so that the low-order bit is numbered 0. This might have
caused confusion in interpreting the Alto schematics.    (02)

Ed Taft    (03)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (04)