nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] Alto keysets

To: Paul McJones <paul@mcjones.org>
Cc: nls-technical@chm.cim3.net, Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>, Al Kossow <aek@spies.com>, "Bernard L. PEUTO" <blpeuto@peuto.com>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:44:53 -0800
Paul McJones wrote:
> Re the "exclusive property" label on the Alto schematics: I have had a
> background project to find someone at Xerox to officially grant some
> sort of access to Alto source code, etc. I did find the correct person:
> Dan Swinehart. Unfortunately he doesn't seem very motivated to actually
> work on this. (Again, maybe Al has some news.)     (01)

Hopefully when you reach the point that Xerox is willing to grant
access, make sure that their statement includes all associated
documentation, manuals, diagrams, etc., in addition to the source code.
A lot of the important historical information comes in these other forms.    (02)

> I've also been working
> with Roy Levin, currently head of the Microsoft Silicon Valley Research
> Lab; this is going more smoothly. (Bernard and I are having lunch with
> Roy tomorrow; maybe we can give you a progress report.)    (03)

Is this related to the Alto, or is this for other historical software?    (04)

Jonathan    (05)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (06)