nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] Java AugTerm

To: Howard Palmer <hepster@pacbell.net>
Cc: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 18:17:34 -0800
Hi Howard,    (01)

Nice to hear from you! Enjoy the rest of your time in Maui. I just got
back from Hawaii (big island) two weeks ago, beautiful weather at this
time of year.    (02)

The original reason for holding off on the sourceforge thing (and all
other public activities) was that we were trying hard to keep a low
profile on all Augment-related activity while we wrestled with the legal
issues surrounding the original Augment. It's been almost a year of
effort now, and we have still not resolved all the legal issues. It's
been very frustrating for us, as you can imagine.    (03)

We've decided that we don't want people to have to wait doing new
project work just because of the legal status of the original Augment.
The issues are almost all about copyright anyway, which of course
doesn't affect any of the new work that is being done.    (04)

In the meantime, Doug Engelbart recently got a small grant from NSF to
do some new work. As part of the initial work, a firefox plugin is
planned to be written that can handle Augment viewspecs and linking.    (05)

Those working on the bootstrap-nsf work as well those on Computer
History Museum project are interested in the Java AugTerm that you wrote
(proposed name JAugTerm - what do you think?) because it is
platform-neutral, and has initial support for the chord keyset (on
Linux, with the driver that I wrote). Drivers on Windows and MacOS
should come soon.    (06)

Any open source license for the Java AugTerm is great for both
sourceforge and the Computer History Museum. As the author, you get to
choose the license, and GPL is fine. (Doug is using GPL for the new
bootstrap-nsf work.)    (07)

Sure, if you can add me as a sourceforge admin then I'll be happy to
move the subversion repo to that site. My sourceforge userid is "cheyer".    (08)

Jonathan    (09)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (011)