nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] chord keyset

To: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Cc: nls-technical@chm.cim3.net, go@ao.com
From: John Sechrest <sechrest@jas.peak.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:11:42 -0800

Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com> writes:    (01)

 % >  One of the places we got stuck was the need for a driver to
 % >  coordinate the 5 bits from one keyboard with the 3 bits of the mouse.
 % >  That was something that we did not process very well.    (02)

 % I'm a little confused by it myself.  We wrote some specialized Java
 % code that processed input from the keyset, and allowed Java to
 % perform its normal mouse handling.  I imagine that the same would be
 % done for any other programming language.  It's not clear what the
 % advantage would be of combining keyboard and mouse handling into a
 % single driver, especially in a windowed environment.    (03)

 Appearently NLS used the three mouse keys as modifiers,
 so you could get 8 states from the right hand to modify
 key stroke on the left hand...    (04)

 so if you have    (05)

 10110 000
 10110 100
 10110 010
 10110 001    (06)

 The the five keys on the left are generating different keys based
 on the keys on the right side.    (07)

 % >  It is possible that Gary might be persuadable to do it off the clock.
 % >  However, I do not see that happening on the time schedule you
 % >  are laying out. I will ask gary tomorrow if the things that he
 % >  is interested in stepping up to this project by end of May or
 % >  not.    (08)

 % Thanks for taking this to them.  There are certain promotional
 % opportunities that AO might be able to take advantage of were it to
 % do this on a pro-bono basis.  However, I understand about the funding
 % issue as well.      (09)

 Yes, there are some wins.     (010)

 % In that case, could you find out what it would cost
 % to get something ready to bid out for manufacturing in May or June by
 % completing the hardware and electrical design, and building a
 % prototype?      (011)

 Yes, I can get Gary to put together a quote for putting together
 12 units. Is that the number that you want?     (012)

 % We can probably get someone to do the drivers on a
 % volunteer basis if you can take care of the hardware end.  I'd expect
 % that if we found funding, this would be work for hire that would be
 % whoever funded it.    (013)

 You will have to help me constrain the project some.
 Do you want us to replicate directly what is there?
 or do you want us to make some optimization for price?
 Or do you want us to make any evolutionary steps for it?     (014)

 % I'll hope to hear from you again in the next few days.    (015)

 I will talk to gary on monday and try to have you some
 details with in a day or so.     (016)

-----
                        .           computers and the Internet
                          .            more effectively