nls-technical

[nls-technical] augterm

To: Howard Palmer <hepster@pacbell.net>
Cc: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 16:33:44 -0800
Hi Howard,    (01)

Sorry I disappeared for a little while, things had gotten pretty busy at
work. Now I'm headed off tonight with my wife for two weeks off vacation
(cruise to the caribbean), so I won't have any email access until I get
back.    (02)

I was thinking it would be pretty cool to add a few more features to the
Java augterm, if you have any extra time over the holidays. In
particular, I'm pretty interested to see:    (03)

  * graphics functions of VAT0. I've never gotten to see these, but I
had heard this was like the early windowing ideas done at Xerox PARC,
and it would be great for historical purposes to have a working version
of this. I don't believe the Smalltalk client supports this at all,
since it was using the VisualWorks windowing environment.    (04)

  * chord keyset. I have managed to obtained a chord keyset to play
with, but I haven't been able to make it work with a modern PC yet. With
some help from a friend, I now have the pinout data for the keyset.
After the holidays, he is going to help me build a cable that will
convert from the keyset wiring to standard PC analog game port wiring.
Then I will buy a standard converter from game port to USB, so that I
will be able to plug in the chord keyset into the USB port of a modern
PC. Once I do that, I am hoping to take a crack at building a simple
event api for the keyset, in a similar way to what is available in java
through javax.comm.* apis.    (05)

  * Once that is available, we can share the keyset and maybe you can
work out the augment commands that are available through the keyset. I
definitely want to have an fully functional augterm that works with both
keyset and mouse. Once that is done, we should have a real demo to show
people.    (06)

  * The file and print functions might be interesting to add, just for
completeness, assuming that we can make it useful in the modern PC paradigm.    (07)

Unfortunately, we don't have much progress in the legal side yet, but
Phil Gust is still trying hard to get the legal people of the copyright
owners to finish this up. Once that is completed, then we make a lot of
this stuff available to the general public and show demos, etc.    (08)

I hope you have a great holidays and look forward to hearing from you as
soon as I return!    (09)

Jonathan    (010)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (011)