nls-legal

Re: [nls-legal] SRI release for NLS

To: Richard Abramson <richard.abramson@sri.com>
Cc: Henry Lowood <lowood@stanford.edu>, nls-legal@chm.cim3.net, Doug Engelbart <doug@bootstrap.org>
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 10:27:40 -0700
Richard,    (01)

I wanted to check back with you to get your initial reactions to this
proposal and to see if you need any further information.  Would you
be available for a brief phone conversation today or tomorrow?  I'm
fairly open both days up until 3.30pm, so let me know what works best for you.    (02)

Best regards,    (03)

At 07:22 AM 4/26/2006, Philip Gust wrote:
> [...]
>types of material related to the NLS system.
>
>As you know, the Copyright Act of 1976 and subsequent revisions
>extended the period of copyright to include the material created by
>the NLS team at SRI. In order to make the NLS system widely
>accessible for study and use, we are asking copyright holders in
>this material to either place it to the public domain or provide a
>blanket grant for non-commercial use.  Our preference would be for
>SRI to dedicate whatever copyright interests it may have in this
>material to the public domain for the benefit of the public at
>large.  I would like to propose the following, although we would be
>satisfied with any similar form of dedication you propose:
>
>"SRI is the copyright holder of certain material created by the NLS
>team at SRI.  SRI wishes to ensure that the NLS system itself and
>related documents and designs are preserved and accessible for study
>and use by the public. Therefore, SRI hereby dedicates whatever
>copyrights it may hold in the work of authorship of this material to
>the public domain for the benefit of the public at large, including
>but not limited to:
>
>1. The source code for the NLS system created by the NLS team at SRI
>2. Executable instructions and documentation derived from the NLS source code.
>3. System documentation, technical reports, journals and other
>documents created by the NLS team at SRI
>4. Designs, schematics and related material for NLS related hardware
>created by the NLS team at SRI
>5. Multimedia material, including video and sound recordings
>produced by the NLS team at SRI.
>
>The works covered by any such copyright held by SRI may be freely
>reproduced, distributed, transmitted, used, modified, built upon, or
>otherwise exploited by anyone for any purpose, commercial or
>non-commercial, and in any way, including by methods that have not
>yet been invented or conceived. SRI makes no warranties about any
>specific copyrighted material and disclaims any liability resulting
>from the use of any such material."
>
>The NLS restoration team is glad to have SRI partner with us in our
>effort to preserve the NLS legacy that Doug and his team created at
>SRI, and look forward to helping SRI celebrate its 60th
>anniversary  later this year.  If you need further information or
>would like to discuss this further, please don't hesitate to contact me.
>
>Best regards,
>

>Philip Gust
>Nouveau Systems, Inc.
>3120 De La Cruz Blvd., Suite 120
>Santa Clara, CA 95054
>
>phone: +1 650 961-7992
>fax:   +1 520 843-7217
>
>mailto: gust@NouveauSystems.com
>
>Nouveau Systems products seamlessly integrate collaboration,
>information management, processes automation, and capture of
>mission-critical knowledge.  To learn how Nouveau Systems products
>can help your organization drive innovation, visit:

Santa Clara, CA 95054    (05)

phone: +1 650 961-7992
fax:   +1 520 843-7217    (06)

mailto: gust@NouveauSystems.com    (07)