nls-legal

[nls-legal] Letter confirming Boeing has no ownership of Augment

To: kathleen.j.gallagher@boeing.com
Cc: John Toole <toole@computerhistory.org>, Sally Abel <SAbel@fenwick.com>
From: Philip Gust <gust@NouveauSystems.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:24:34 -0800
Kathy,    (01)

Thanks so much for taking my call today.  I know how busy you are and
hope this will take only a few minutes.    (02)

We'd appreciate your taking a few minutes to send something to the
Computer History Museum confirming that Boeing has no ownership
rights or interests in the Augment software.  This will be a big help
to us as we trace and document the chain of ownership, and make this
historically important system available on a non-commercial basis for
historians, engineers, and computer scientists to study.    (03)

If you are able to have someone print the statement at the end of
this message on Boeing letterhead, please address it to    (04)

John Toole
Executive Director
Computer History Museum
1401 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View CA 94043    (05)

Otherwise, simply copy and paste this statement into an email to
John, and CC Sally Abel and me.    (06)

"As far as we can ascertain, Augment was part of the assets sold to a
division of British Telecom.  We were not able to locate the deal
documents, however I spoke to someone in the company who was involved
in the sale to BT who says all rights transferred to BT. Also, USPTO
records indicate that the registered trademark 1487229 for AUGMENT,
owned by McDonnell Douglas Corporation, was transferred to British
Telecommunications PLC on 11/20/1989.    (07)

"Consequently, I believe that Boeing has no existing or continuing
ownership rights or interests in the Augment software system,
including, but not limited to, any copyright and/or trademark rights
in the work, and would not take action against the Computer History
Museum in connection with any rights associated with or interests in
Augment. Boeing makes no representation or warranty as to the facts
of this matter, or any such use that the Computer History Museum many
of Augment."    (08)

Thanks again, and I hope your department gets some additional
resources very soon.    (09)

  Best regards,    (010)

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.    (011)