nls-legal
[Top] [All Lists]

[nls-legal] Fwd: RE: Assistance Re: Augument Software

To: "Sally Abel" <SAbel@fenwick.com>
Cc: nls-legal@chm.cim3.net
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 06:03:31 -0800
Message-id: <7.0.0.16.2.20060214053955.063c5d40@NouveauSystems.com>
Sally,

Thanks for pursuing this avenue.  Please thank Kevin Purell for his efforts on our behalf. It's a good example of why following multiple paths is important for artifacts like this.

I sent John Toole a draft letter for review that Simom Garrett at BT suggested we write.  It requests them to furnish a letter stating that BT believes ownership of NLS/Augment passed with other assets formerly from Tymenet/Tymeshare to MCI in 1993-1994. We're also asking them to state that, so far as BT is concerned, BT has no issue with the Computer History Museum using NLS/Augment copyrights in a not-for-profit capacity for the benefit of the general public.

We're following the trail to MCI/Verizon now, both through Vint Cerf, and with Anita Odonovich at Verizon legal. Jonathan Cheyer located her through several referrals.  You may have seen his correspondence on the nls-legal mailing list.

I'm still trying to connect directly with Kathy Gallagher at Boeing.  I've left several phone messages so far, including one with her admin.  I'll keep trying to get through to her.

Subject: RE: Assistance Re: Augument Software
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 10:35:11 -0000
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
Thread-Topic: Assistance Re: Augument Software
Thread-Index: AcYblB1KNVsuTck+SPavvldZis8q7gMXe7kw
To: <SAbel@fenwick.com>
Cc: <gust@nouveausystems.com>
X-OriginalArrivalTime: 14 Feb 2006 10:35:11.0808 (UTC) FILETIME=[557EA400:01C63152]

Sally,

After some searching I regret to inform you that, unfortunately, I cannot trace any history within BT that relates to this matter.

Regards

Kevin Purell

Sent: 17 January 2006 18:31
To: Purell,KJ,Kevin,CGLI R
Cc: gust@nouveausystems.com
Subject: Assistance Re: Augument Software

Dear Mr. Purell:

I am writing to you on behalf of the Computer History Museum (www.computerhistory.org), where I am a member of the Board of Trustees.  We understand that you are responsible for technology licensing at BT.  We are hopeful that you can point us in the right direction as to some old technology that BT may or may not have an interest or continuing interest in.

In the interest of preservation and research, the Museum would like to restore and make available for non-commercial use software previously marketed/owned by Boeing under the name AUGMENT (previously NLS).  We understand that Boeing likely transferred the software and intellectual property rights to BT several years ago, and it is possible that BT subsequently transferred the remaining rights, if any, to Sprint.  We have already gotten the information that we can from Boeing.

At this juncture, the Museum is interested to know if BT retained or transferred the rights, and whether BT would be willing to quit claim the IP rights, if any, to the Museum.

Please contact me (or Philip Gust copied above) at your earliest convenience if you are able to assist us or if you have a different contact within BT you believe we should be talking with.

Many thanks,

Sally Abel

IRS Circular 230  Disclosure:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. federal tax advice in this communication (including attachments) is not intended or written by Fenwick & West LLP to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

ATTENTION:
The information contained in this message may be legally privileged and confidential.  It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed or by their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are on notice that any distribution of this message, in any form, is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and/or Fenwick & West LLP by telephone at (650) 988-8500 and delete or destroy any copy of this message.

Philip Gust
Nouveau Systems, Inc.

phone: +1 650 961-7992
fax:   +1 520 843-7217

mailto: gust@NouveauSystems.com

To Post: mailto:nls-legal@chm.cim3.net
Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (01)
<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • [nls-legal] Fwd: RE: Assistance Re: Augument Software, Philip Gust <=