nls-legal

Re: [nls-legal] FW: Computer History Museum: IP transfer (NLS/Augment)

To: simon.garrett@bt.com
Cc: nls-legal@chm.cim3.net
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:52:39 -0800
Hi Simon,    (01)

Thank you for following up with me on this! I understand how difficult
it can be to track down information as old as this.    (02)

This information comes as a surprise to me. I will start looking for
legal contacts within MCI to continue my search.    (03)

I have one more important favor to ask of you. Would it be possible for
the Computer History Museum to obtain a written memorandum from BT
stating what is known about the legal uncertainty of NLS/Augment?    (04)

Something along the lines of:    (05)

1. In your opinion, British Telecom MAY HAVE (uncertain) assigned all
its rights in NLS/Augment to Worldcom/MCI
2. British Telecom disclaims any interest in Augment trademarks,
copyrights, or patents
3. British Telecom has no intent of pursing legal action as a result of
any dissemination or use of Augment    (06)

(As you can tell, I'm not a lawyer...)    (07)

We have been working with Boeing to obtain a similar memorandum from
them, and have recently obtained a verbal agreement from them to do so.    (08)

Again, the goal of the Computer History Museum is primarily to preserve
important historical artifacts and make them available for the general
public to learn about early computing. This will also give future
historians something to look through as they try to understand how the
early history of computers came to be, and how it shaped our world today.    (09)

Thanks so much for all of your time and assistance!    (010)

Jonathan    (011)

Message Archives: http://chm.cim3.net/forum/nls-legal/
To Post: mailto:nls-legal@chm.cim3.net
Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (013)