nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] Getting access to the CHM's NLS project site

To: Derek Peschel <dpeschel@eskimo.com>
Cc: nls-technical@chm.cim3.net
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 12:32:09 -0800
Hi Derek,    (01)

Comments inline.    (02)

Jonathan    (03)

Derek Peschel wrote:
> Great, and thanks for getting back to me!  Is this the entire contents
> of your private site that I was trying to get access to?    (04)

Yes, all of the information on the wiki and forum archives are now
available. We are looking for volunteers to help add additional
information to the wiki.    (05)

The NLS system source code and binaries are still not available to the
public yet, because of legal issues, but we are working hard to get that
work finished as soon as possible. We fully expect to have NLS itself
made available to the public in the future.    (06)

> Also, I had been thinking about improving the Augment-to-HTML conversion
> script, since it doesn't deal with tables very well.  But I need the
> unconverted files, specifically the user's guides and tutorials.  Would they
> be hard to get?    (07)

Before you start working to improve Eugene's a2h program (which has been
very useful in its own right), I encourage you to take a look at AugXml,
which is a more recent program that we wrote as part of the HyperScope
effort. AugXml parses Augment files directly and exports XML.    (08)

You can easily take the generated XML file and convert it to HTML using
whatever process you want. This will allow you to easily change the
look-and-feel of the generated files.    (09)

I have some initial information at:
http://blueoxen.net/c/hyperscope/wiki.pl?AugXml    (010)

> Could you also clarify how many running Augment systems are out there,
> who owns them, and if they are publicly accessible?  I know about Doug
> Engelbart's, and whatever the Hyperscope people are using which might be
> Doug Engelbart's.  From this new Wiki I gather that the NLS Restoration
> project is concentrating on creating a new distribution so people can use
> their own computers, and not on having many more people use the current
> systems.    (011)

These are great questions. Answered on wiki!    (012)

http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?FAQ#nidJ2
http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?FAQ#nidJK
http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?FAQ#nidJN    (013)

Doug has been very charitable to let people he knows use his existing
personal system, but NLS/Augment wasn't designed with heavy-duty
security in mind so it's not an option which is scalable to opening his
personal system to the general public on today's Internet. This is why
we want to make a distribution available that people can use on their
own computers.    (014)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (015)