nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] [Fwd: Re: NLS/AUGMENT question.]

To: Alex Bochannek <alex@p9.com>
Cc: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>, Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com>
From: Mark Crispin <MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:49:13 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007, Alex Bochannek wrote:
> Ken Harrenstien <klh@panix.com> writes:
>> Yeah, looks OK to me, although personally I would be very afraid of
>> using a compiler with broken ternary code generation.  You don't know
>> what else might be silently broken...
> Since at my "real job" we are working on migrating to GCC 4.1.1 as
> well, I am very interested in getting this resolved. I had someone
> else look at this and she agrees that it is a compiler bug and will
> forward it to our support vendor.    (01)

I concur with this sentiment as well.  It seems to me that changing valid
code to work around a compiler bug is ultimately a no-win situation; what
if GCC 4.1.69.105 does the right thing for ternary operators but screws up
on if/else?    (02)

I have problems with the logf change too.  logf is only supposed to be
defined if <math.h> is included, which it isn't in tapedd.c.  It is
presumptious, to say the least, for a C compiler to decide that an
optional C library function is now a C language reserved word.    (03)

I had this fight with people who insisted upon compiling my C code with
C++ compilers that had hissy-fits over my use of C++ reserved words.    (04)

Including stdlib.h seems reasonable though.    (05)

-- Mark --    (06)

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.    (07)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (08)