nls-technical

Re: [nls-technical] [bootstrap-nsf] questions about Augment file structu

To: bootstrap-nsf@ws.blueoxen.net
Cc: NLS Restoration Technical Discussion <nls-technical@chm.cim3.net>
From: Jonathan Cheyer <jonathan@cheyer.biz>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:40:23 -0800
Hi Jeff,    (01)

I know you were one of the software architects during the NLS days. I'm
not sure when the Augment data structure was first designed, and how
much it changed over the years from its original implementation.    (02)

Could you give me a brief history lesson on who did the original design
for the Augment data structure? Anything you remember about approximate
year and names of people involved would be very useful.    (03)

(I do have some of the L10 code from within Augment itself and have
started looking through the code.)    (04)

Among the documents I skimmed through from the CD that you gave me, I
came across a section that is entitled "AHI Data Structure, A.M. 276
Class Notes". It is about 20 pages long. No author and no date are
mentioned. Do you know what the A.M. initials are? I realize that AHI
stands for "Augmented Human Intellect" and was part of the AHIRC before
it was renamed ARC. That seems to suggest that this document was written
no later than 1968-9. According to this interview that Doug gave in
1987, AHIRC was renamed ARC at around that time.
http://www-sul.stanford.edu/depts/hasrg/histsci/ssvoral/engelbart/main3-ntb.html    (05)

If you know of any other technical documents that describe the data
structure, especially if they are later documents and the details have
changed, I would appreciate it if you could point me to them.    (06)

Jonathan    (07)

Community Wiki: http://chm.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?NLS_Restoration    (09)